Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Hacks and scams using cryptocurrency increased by 153% YoY in Q3: Immunefi

In Q3 2023, there were 76 attack events, up from just 30 in the same quarter the previous year.

According to a report by blockchain security platform Immunefi, attack occurrences against crypto and Web3 projects increased by 153% from July to September 2023 compared to the same time in 2022. There were a total of 30 attack events in Q3 2022. However, this number increased to 76 in Q3 2023. The most recent quarter had losses of around $686 million.

The Mixin breach on September 25 caused the largest damage, robbing the company of over $200 million. The Multichain hack, which cost over $126 million in losses that haven’t been recovered, was the second-worst attack of the quarter. Along with these occurrences, the Lazarus Group stole about $208 million worth of cryptocurrency.

Rug pulls and other con games were a tiny part of attacks in Q3. These kinds of accidents only accounted for $23 million, or 3.3%, of total damages; the other 96.7% were the result of hacks or exploits. In comparison to Q3 2022, overall financial losses due to frauds dropped by 23.9% in Q3.

According to the report, centralized services only accounted for 27.1% of exploit losses, while decentralized finance (DeFi) hacks caused 72.9% of all losses. Immunefi didn’t specify how it differentiated between “centralized” and “decentralized” services.

The two networks most attacked by hackers and scammers were Ethereum and BNB Chain. Ethereum represented 42.7% of losses, while BNB Chain represented 30.5%. The third and fourth most utilized networks by attackers were Base and Optimism.


Be the first to know

Get the best of all crypto news updates coming from Nigeria, Kenya, SA, Ghana, and across Africa

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment